This is one of my go to recipes on a sunny Summer’s day. A simple recipe that is so tasty and transports me to the Greek islands! Perfect enjoyed in the garden with a cold beer, glass of wine or Greek G&T! Allow some time for marinating.
Recipe makes 4 skewers
- 2 chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch cubes
- pinch of dried oregano
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, quartered
- 2 green peppers, cut into 1 inch squares
- juice of half a lemon
- salt & pepper
- Pita bread
- Put the chicken into a bowl, add the oregano & oil, season with pepper, toss well. Cover & let marinate in the refrigerator for a few hours or ideally overnight.
- Preheat the grill or light the barbecue.
- Drain & thread the chicken onto skewers, alternating with the onions & peppers.
- Brush the souvlaki with some olive oil & a squeeze of lemon juice.
- Grill or barbecue the skewers, turning twice & brushing frequently with olive oil & lemon.
- Cook for 10-15 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through.
- Season with salt, sprinkle with oregano & serve immediately with Pita bread & Tzatziki.
I can highly recommend M&S Greek Style Flatbreads & Tzatziki.
Recipe adapted from ‘Greece – The Cookbook’ by Vefa Alexiadou.