With many of us enjoying a Staycation this Summer, I really am staying put at home, on the edge of the breathtaking Gower Peninsula. There are worse places to call home!
As well as the stunning coastal scenery, we are also blessed with many quality food producers. Here are just a few of my favourites…
- Gower PYO – situated at Scurlage farm, this all weather pick your own fruit farm is open 11am-6pm Tuesday to Saturday and sells strawberries, raspberries, broad beans, sunflowers, homemade jam and cakes, ice cream and hot drinks. This year they have been running a drive through system, although their picnic area is now also open. The strawberries are delicious! It’s advisable to check social media before visiting for availability of fruits.
2. GG’s at the Estuary – the home of Gower Gelato. Situated in the famous cockle village of Penclawdd, with ample parking overlooking the Loughor Estuary. GGs is open 11:30am-7:30pm daily. Serving a variety of flavours from the classic vanilla to the more unusual like purple honeycomb!
Whilst we are on the subject on ice cream, I can’t not mention Swansea’s legendary Joe’s! A must try if it’s your first visit to Swansea! My personal favourite is the North Pole! Various sites around Swansea.
3. Gower Dough Co – wood fired pizza for all events. These guys have a trailer (and pizza bus in the planning!) and serve pizza at various venues. Their genius idea of deconstructed pizza deliveries during lockdown was most welcome! Fabulous pizzas and definitely worth checking out.
4. The Gower Gin Company – making award winning Welsh gin in their micro-distillery in the seaside village of Port Eynon. Gin fans will be spoilt for choice as they currently produce six Gower Gins!
My personal favourite is Gwyr Rhosili which commemorates local icon Dylan Thomas. It won a gold medal in the 2020 World Gin Awards and my recommended serve is with Fever Tree Mediterranean Tonic, a sprig of rosemary and a slice of lime. Iechyd da!
5. Gower Seafood Hut – based in Mumbles and open Tuesday to Sunday 1-7pm. Serving freshly cooked fish dishes. A great place to sample the fabulous local seafood.
6. Gower Doughnut Co – fresh handmade, hand filled small batch doughnuts in a variety of flavours available to order online or buy in a variety of stockists.
Gower Seafood Hut and Gower Doughnut Co are also currently situated at the Rhossili Sunflowers site. A photograph amongst the sunflowers, with the famous Worm’s Head, in the background is a must. Open 9:30am-7pm daily. Please remember social distancing rules and respect the beautiful Gower landscape if visiting.
These are just a few of my favourite Gower food experiences. There are many more! Maybe a staycation isn’t such a bad thing after all!